[OPLINTECH] HP Desktop Computer Problem

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Fri Dec 7 17:35:41 EST 2018

Melissa,

I'm not specifically familiar with that particular model of HP computer and
I haven't used a lot of HP computers in recent years, so I'm not familiar
with the pre-loaded bloatware installed on them. But some basic
troubleshooting step may help to pinpoint the problem. For example, in a
situation like this, the problem could potentially be
hardware/firmware-related, although I find that somewhat unlikely.
Regardless, a very simple way to determine whether the problem is
hardware/firmware-related or related to something in Windows would be to
download a copy of your favorite linux boot DVD and boot the computer from
that instead of Windows. If the problem persists under linux, then you have
effectively and quickly ruled out anything at all to do with Windows and
the software installed on it. However, if the problem goes away under
linux, then you've proved out your hardware, firmware, and the firmware
config and can confidently focus your complete attention on Windows,
drivers, and installed software. It's a simple, but important diagnostic
step.

FWIW, I keep a copy of a Knoppix live boot DVD handy for quick
Windows-bypassing diagnostics like this. But there are plenty of other
distros out there that will also do the trick.
http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

If you've proved out your hardware, firmware, and firmware config, then you
can start looking confidently and purely at software. I'd probably suggest
focusing your efforts on just one computer until you pinpoint the source of
the problem. (KISS method.) If these are newer computers and they've been
doing this since day one, then you might start with cleaning out the bloat
pre-installed by the manufacturer. There's probably a pretty good chance
that something pre-installed is your root cause. Also check for any sort of
remote control type software that might hook into the mouse...like VNC or
some other vendor remote support software (looking for non-native Windows
software here; don't worry about Remote Desktop being enabled).

Also, basic mice are very generic and should work with just the native
Windows driver. If you've got some fancy-pants mouse, uninstall the
fancy-pants driver and just run with the basic Windows driver until you
prove one way or the other that the fancy-pants driver is/isn't causing
your problem.

Good luck and HTH,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*