[OPLINTECH] Handling Scheduled Library IT Outages

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Jul 31 15:02:18 EDT 2018

This isn't necessarily apples-to-apples, but as outsourced IT, I tend to do
workstation updates during business hours while working around
patrons/staff as much as possible. I try to keep kicking patrons/staff off
the computers to a minimum and just bounce around between them as they
vacate computers. As for server/firewall updates, I try to keep anything
that requires a reboot to non-business hours as much as possible. Usually
this means connecting in remotely overnight or during the weekend/holiday
and performing the necessary maintenance. Occasionally, however, I need to
be present for a reboot/shutdown/whatever and it needs to be done during
the normal working day. It is what it is.

FWIW,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*