[OPLINTECH] HP Computers and Windows 10 Fall update

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Oct 23 15:23:54 EDT 2018

Dubious congratulations to Dan for finding one of several major problems
with the latest update from Microsoft.  Another:  Documents irrecoverably
gone in the blink of an eye; hope you made a backup!

It seems generally known that Microsoft's patch quality has been on the
decline since Windows 10. But this one has been one of the worse in recent
memory. Both now and in the foreseeable future, it may be wise to try to
delay updates...especially the biggest ones...by a few weeks to let someone
else get cut by the bleeding edge. Microsoft's internal development
cycles/processes aren't going to be changing anytime soon, so we can expect
to continue to have this quality of software delivered for a while yet. (I
really wish I could link to a very good article I just read detailing this
exact topic...but alas, my chances of finding that specific article is
pretty darned slim. Sorry.)

Good luck.

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*