[OPLINTECH] HP Computers and Windows 10 Fall update

Danny Will danwill at meigslibrary.org
Tue Oct 23 14:57:32 EDT 2018

Hey everyone,
     I thought that I’d update everyone on my afternoon. I came in a little after 11 this morning to a computer that had to say the least a flickering screen.  I had updated Windows 10 pro to the fall update yesterday afternoon without any issues. It had restarted several times (as is normal anymore for MS updates) without issue. I shut it down and went home.  When I started it, I had the screen that I included with this email. It was so bad I ended up using Remote Desktop to log onto it and did a little research on HP’s support site. Way at the bottom of their support page HP states that the Fall update “may” cause “some” flickering. That is an understatement! They recommended reinstalling their driver. Well before I went to HP, I had done that very thing. No luck. I uninstalled the Fall update and reinstalled the video drivers again. No luck. After reinstalling the update and video drivers again to no avail, I took a break. It then dawned on me that the video card & the chipset were Intel. MS has gotten a bad rap for replacing Intel drivers with their own and not for the betterment of the user. So, on the off chance, I reinstalled the chipset drivers and BINGO. HP didn’t say anything about them but, it made sense to me.
     So, if anyone runs into this issue on the list, you are now better armed than I was this morning.  :)
Dan Will
Meigs County District Public Library
Technology Supervisor
danwill at meigslibrary.org<mailto:danwill at meigslibrary.org>