[OPLINTECH] Hotspot management

David Brown dbrown at starklibrary.org
Mon Sep 24 10:17:46 EDT 2018

Hi, Mark.
We are just now deploying a new Hotspot system that should yield radical improvements for our patrons. Here’s what I heard back from the IT person who arranged the switch. Hope you find it useful!

We recently chose to go with AT&T for hotspots.

AT&T offers truly unlimited data for government accounts but AT&T’s coverage was nearly equivalent to Verizon’s in our Bookmobile route tests.
AT&T’s prices are about $5/mo better in that we don’t need to pay that 3rd party service to add a 1G/day data cap to keep us from running out of data before the month is over.
Sprint’s coverage and their device quality were lacking, although their pricing was $5/mo better per line and they also offer unlimited data.

In addition, AT&T is providing at no additional charge, the Netgear Nighthawk hotspots.
Those are far more than a hotspot.  They offer routing, device charging, storage, and other features that are not available on other units.
Finally, AT&T’s customer service has been amazing.  I usually get responses in less than an hour for equipment requests, moves/adds/changes, and they let us keep extra SIM cards in stock.

Feel free to forward this information do Mark, Penny, and any others you might think would be interested.
I also have some more specific information about the device, a graph of coverage results from our Bookmobile tests, plan details, and other information that guided us in our decision to switch.

David Brown
Web & Digital Manager
Stark Library, Communications Department
p:   330.458.2697
e:   dbrown at starklibrary.org