[OPLINTECH] Allow software on public computers other than what's installed?

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Feb 20 19:04:01 EST 2019

Years ago I used to lock the computers down pretty tightly. Computers were
relative a new thing in libraries and librarians were more paranoid. These
days, patron computers are logged in with user-level privileges and they
all have Deep Freeze. So I take the attitude that if a patron can install a
program without elevated privileges, they're welcome to do it. I don't
care. That's exactly what I tell the staff. I also don't lock them down
nearly as heavily as I used to. They're all on isolated/firewalled network
segments and are frozen. So they're cleaned out at every reboot. This
allows for maximum utility for whatever the patron needs, while keeping the
library's network safe/secure. This is the approach I've taken for the last
~10 years or more and it's worked quite well. YMMV!

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in libraries and
schools*