[OPLINTECH] Upgrading MediaWiki help request

Bob Neeper neeperro at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 17:55:02 EDT 2019

*Caveat:*
I'm no longer an employee and haven't touched MediaWiki in a few years

Community Library did (and does) internal hosting of the Staff Wiki because:
   Wasn't to be accessed from outside so very secure
   Had full control and didn't need to upgrade just because the provider said so
   Had plenty of virtual machine capacity available

That being stated:
I'd *absolutely read the upgrade instructions* with a new version
I recall the actual s/w change was very easy, but *read to see if you can skip
versions*.
I think it was a matter of:
Bursting (unziping) MediaWiki to a folder with a different name than used on the
server.
Copying the folder to the server.
Copying any files as needed to the new folder.
Rename the existing folder to something else.
Rename the new folder to what the original folder was.
Google also found "You should run update.php after each upgrade"
Maybe a reboot.
And Bob's your Uncle. (No relation)

Sometime later you can delete the renamed original folder.

Before doing an upgrade I'd always copy the complete virtual PC, just in case.
But obviously you can't do that.

*NOTE-NOTE:* There is a MySql data base involved to backup along with what you
mentioned.
We used phpMyAdmin to export the file.

*FWIW*
  I might suggest building one on site with an old PC using the old MediaWIKI s/w.
     (Although that could be quite daunting)
Get it running and try doing the MediaWiki upgrade.
Once it is running correctly you should have a fallback option.
Then upgrade PHP and whatever else 1and1 wants on your backup PC to see if
anything breaks.
If it still all works, then try the upgrade on the 1and1 server

I googled "migrate mediawiki" and found these sites which may help.
There are others out there.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Moving_a_wiki
https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2008-August/028294.html

*You might also ask if 1and 1 will do the upgrade or possibly find a local guru.*

Bob

R. W. (Bob) Neeper
(Retired Toledo Scale Engineer & Library Computer Guy)
neeperro at gmail.com

Doing Genealogy at:
Community Library
Sunbury, Ohio