[OPLINTECH] Public Access Computers

Technology Coordinator techco at acdl.info
Wed Mar 20 14:06:27 EDT 2019

Fred,

Expanded:
We offer the traditional computer lab setup with an adult section in
reference of and a children's section in their area. Locations are
important. We have a "Creative Corner" that allows for Cricut use, video
conversion of VHS to Digital or DVD, Audio and Video editing, and Graphics
design. Many Open Source application are available such as Audacity,
Irfanview, GIMP, Handbrake, OpenShot, Videolan (VLC), and many others. Some
of this software is even available on our normal workstations. We also have
scan stations that allow them to save to a flash drive, email the results,
or share to cloud storage.

We provide in-house use of 24 laptops running Windows 10 with DeepFreeze to
ensure privacy and does the system resetting back to specifications after
reboot. We also use Clonezilla to image the laptops when additional
software and updates are needed among. This has been very popular and we
are looking to add laptops as funding is available. Having a mouse
available to check out with the laptop will keep patrons from swiping them
off your workstations.

The laptops are popular as patrons may sit in a comfortable chair, go to a
quiet corner, use the study rooms for video teleconferencing, and truly
explore the library. On the laptops we put on Roblox and other applications
to allow them to game if they would like.

Of note, we also have two gaming rooms one with two gaming setups to play
concurrently and another room with on system. The three gaming systems all
have Playstation4, Xbox One, and the WIIU. You could set up your patron
workstations as gaming systems to draw in the teens.

Hope this helps!

Mark Sanzotta | Technology Coordinator

Ashtabula County District Library

4335 Park Ave, Ashtabula, OH 44004

440.990.2339 (office)

Ashtabula Branch 440.997.9341 | Geneva Branch 440.466.4521

www.acdl.info

Gather, Read, Discover, Transform