[OPLINTECH] Off-site backup

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Thu Nov 14 16:23:51 EST 2019

As a convenience to my clients, I automatically do nightly backups of my
libraries' Windows and linux servers to my own UrBackup
<https://www.urbackup.org/> server on a "best-effort" basis free of charge.
I started doing that years ago for my own convenience and peace of mind
because I simply couldn't trust that the staff at the individual libraries
were getting regular successful backups. To this day, I don't charge for
the service and always tell them it's best effort, but I do pay a lot of
frequent attention to it to make sure it's reliable and working properly!
Plus, these days, 99 times out of 100 it's the only backup that each
library is getting. Most of their individual backups have long since fallen
along the wayside and aren't happening any longer since mine is more
reliable and I keep tabs on it frequently to know if someone isn't getting
a regular back for some reason. They get what they pay for, though:  I
don't run a maximum security data center in some nondescript building in
the middle of nowhere.

But that doesn't help you much. Sorry.

If you're interested in a super cheap cloud-based backup that's open
source, but very manual right now, you could look into blockchain based Sia
<https://sia.tech>. It works, but is probably too bleeding edge for you,
though.

Or UrBackup is pretty simple to set up and use. If you're a multi-branch
library, you could simply set up a UrBackup server in a branch and back up
off-site between branches over a VPN. That's essentially what I'm doing.
You just need an old server with a decent amount of RAM and lots of
(preferably redundant) storage. (If you're familiar with Linux, I'd make it
a linux server.)

Food for thought,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*