[OPLINTECH] Off-site backup

Technology Coordinator techco at acdl.info
Fri Nov 15 08:14:46 EST 2019

Phil,

I agree with Chad on the backup strategy. We have two branches so they
backup locally and then to each other over a point to point fiber
connection.

If you don't have an old server that can do RAID looking into a NAS
https://www.synology.com/en-us/solution/business_continuity and picking a
RAID 5 chassis may suit your needs. An example is
https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/DS3018xs which is pretty scalable.
Even has some nice software that comes with it.

Or UrBackup is pretty simple to set up and use. If you're a multi-branch
library, you could simply set up a UrBackup server in a branch and back up
off-site between branches over a VPN. That's essentially what I'm doing.
You just need an old server with a decent amount of RAM and lots of
(preferably redundant) storage. (If you're familiar with Linux, I'd make it
a linux server.)

Best of luck,
Mark

Mark Sanzotta | Technology Coordinator

Ashtabula County District Library

4335 Park Ave, Ashtabula, OH 44004

440.990.2339 (office)

Ashtabula Branch 440.997.9341 | Geneva Branch 440.466.4521

www.acdl.info

Gather, Read, Discover, Transform