[OPLINTECH] SSDs have quit working?

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Mon Sep 9 13:34:31 EDT 2019

> It looks as if it was trying a network boot first.

Not necessarily. If PXE is in the boot order as a later item in the list
and the earlier items in the list don't contain bootable devices, then
it'll get to and try PXE. So picture could simply be showing that the
previous boot devices in the list didn't boot and so it's trying PXE last
(and failing because no TFTP server configured, etc.).

I think Chad has has seen an occasional Windows update problem.

*Occasional*?   *snort*
But you're right-ish. DF + Windows Updates == occasional boot problems. But
the symptoms are different. Lynne' problem is earlier in the boot process
where the firmware is trying to hand over control to a boot sector stored
on some boot device (BIOS or UEFI w/BIOS-compatibility enabled) or to an OS
loader/OS kernel (EFI/UEFI-style). The firmware isn't finding a device with
a valid boot sector or OS loader/kernel and so finally gives up with the
"ERROR: No boot disk has been detected..." message. The problem appears to
either be hardware failure, the UEFI boot manager has become corrupted or
otherwise changed (if these are EFI/UEFI computers), or an important part
of the storage device has become corrupted. In the Windows Update scenario,
the firmware has found a boot device and has handed execution over to the
executables on the storage device and is failing slightly later in the boot
process.

In retrospect, I suppose it's *possible* that it could be the same
problem:  When installing Windows, by default, a Windows partition is
created for typical booting, but a Recovery Partition is also created. The
recovery partition is booted when the normal Windows partition won't boot.
With the Windows Update problems I've experienced, the normal Windows
partition fails over to the recovery partition. But if there is no recovery
partition on her computers, then it could show the "no boot disk" error.
That's probably not the case, though.

An aside:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Extensible_Firmware_Interface#Booting
Gives
a brief overview of the (U)EFI boot process. UEFI isn't BIOS so it might be
a little hard to wrap your head around if you cut your teeth on BIOS. I
still have to catch myself sometimes and reorient my thinking about the
firmware.

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*