[OPLINTECH] Census PC Prep

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Mar 3 10:44:49 EST 2020

I don't know your network config...and I haven't specifically tried to
restrict any devices intended strictly for census yet, but with devices
intended for OPAC/PAC/catalog-use (pick your terminology!) only, I have a
"standard" mechanism defined in our typical network perimeter firewall
configuration that handles that. It's really nothing more than:

   1. DHCP server has a static assignment for OPAC/PAC/catalog device MAC
   addresses to ensure they get a specific known IP address every time.
   2. A firewall rule blocks ALL network traffic from that IP address range
   from passing through the firewall with the exception to the rule being a
   list of permitted domains/IP addresses to allow the catalog and any
   ancillary URLs to be accessible and work correctly.

Like I said, I haven't specifically looked into restricting a census
device, but presumably most of the network traffic for the device will be
limited to a specific set of known URLs. You can likely use the same
mechanism to restrict access on those devices. Anything you don't
specifically except will be blocked by default.

2 cents,

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*