[OPLINTECH] Keyboard covers

Chad N. cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue May 26 11:02:32 EDT 2020

Yuck. Hate those things. I bought one for myself years ago, used it for 30
seconds, and promptly threw it away. But I understand the reason for
considering them now. Ultimately, unless you're considering them to be
disposable between patrons, they're no better than gloves:  They might make
you feel better, but you still have to sanitize them exactly like you would
have to do if they weren't there. The only upshot is that you would have
the ability to throw them away periodically, which you probably shouldn't
do with real keyboards or hands. But stressed again: You *still* have to
sanitize them like you would the things they're protecting.

To Brad's comment about UVC:  UVx can degrade plastics, so that might be a
downside. However, UVC is common in hospitals and being medical grade
keyboards, your specific ones might be just fine. Even if they do end up
degrading the plastic used in keyboards/mice, I'm guessing it's a
reasonably slow deterioration and honestly probably personally wouldn't
care too much. But it might be something to be aware of and realize that if
you UVC your keyboards/mice, you might have to replace them at some point
maybe sooner than you may have otherwise. (Again...I'd probably still UVC
them anyway.)

2 cents,

*I am no longer responding off-list to topical replies sent only/directly
to me.*
*Libraries have a wonderfully amazing reputation for openness and sharing,
a concept I support and encourage. **Your thoughts are useful and valuable.
As always, I beg you to share them publicly so that other libraries can
benefit from them and participate in a conversation**.*

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*