[OPLINTECH] VHS → digital conversion service for patron use

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Wed Mar 24 13:27:44 EDT 2021

Cross-posted to OPLINLIST & OPLINTECH:

I work with a library that is interested in providing a DHS→digital
conversion service for patrons. Generally, the goal would be to allow
patrons to bring their personally-created VHS tapes and convert them to a
digital format:  maybe a playable DVD format,  or perhaps save them as a
file to an external storage device they either bring with them or maybe
purchase from the library,  or perhaps upload to their preferred cloud
service. We know there are various DIY hardware+software solutions that can
do this, each requiring various levels of technical expertise to use well.
But for any libraries that have a solution that the patrons seem to be able
to use easily and successfully (preferably with minimal staff assistance),
we're curious to learn what specific hardware/software you're using. Any
technical/policy/general tips you've learned from your experience and that
you might share would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

*My personal listserv policy:*

*I may not respond off-list to topical replies sent only/directly to me.*
*Libraries have a wonderfully amazing reputation for openness and sharing,
a concept I support and encourage. **Your thoughts are useful and valuable.
I beg you to share them publicly so that other libraries can benefit from
them too and perhaps participate in an open conversation...which can't
occur off-list**.*

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*