[OPLINTECH] PDF software on public computers

Phil Shirley pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
Tue Sep 28 16:00:10 EDT 2021

What software do you use to open PDFs on public computers? We just use
the free Adobe software. The problem we have is that sometimes a PDF
will have multiple layers and take a very long time to print; when that
happens, if the patron comes to a staff member, then we can tell them
how to flatten the PDF first, but it would be nice if it just printed
quickly in the first place. I haven't found a way in this software to
automatically flatten before printing.

At some point we had the web browsers set up to open PDFs in the browser
but there was some problem, probably with printing (you can't use the
browser's print function I don't think), some reason that we had to tell
patrons to save the PDF and then open it in the Adobe software.

I worry that anything but the Adobe software might not support
everything that patrons need to do with a PDF, like maybe fill out a
form before printing, though I know there are alternative PDF readers
out there.

Phil

*Phil Shirley*

/IT Manager/
*Cuyahoga Falls Library*
*p.* 330.928.2117 x109 *e.* pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org
<mailto:pshirley at cuyahogafallslibrary.org>
*w. *cuyahogafallslibrary.org <http://www.cuyahogafallslibrary.org/> *a.
*2015 Third Street, Cuyahoga Falls, OH 44221

<https://www.facebook.com/fallslibrary/>
<https://twitter.com/FallsLibrary><https://www.instagram.com/fallslibrary/>