[OPLINTECH] PDF software on public computers

Chad Neeper cneeper at level9networks.com
Tue Sep 28 19:12:03 EDT 2021

Over the years, I always end up with Adobe Reader on staff and patron
computers. It's what just about every program, organization, instruction
guide, and user expects. It's also been my experience that some pdf
documents (IRS forms!) DO sometimes have problems with alternative readers,
although that may be a bit less common these days save for some more
obscure and less-used pdf document features that may or may not be
implemented correctly in whatever non-Adobe Reader. Built-in browser pdf
readers seem to be less robust for sure. Ultimately, as a rule, Adobe
Reader goes on every patron and staff computer. It is what it is.

*My personal listserv policy:*

*I may not respond off-list to topical replies sent only/directly to me.*
*Libraries have a wonderfully amazing reputation for openness and sharing,
a concept I support and encourage. Your thoughts are useful and valuable. I
beg you to share them publicly so that other libraries can benefit from
them too and perhaps participate in an open conversation...which can't
occur off-list.*

*Full IT/Computer consulting services -- Specialized in public libraries*