[SOA] Digitization planning study

Jason Casden casden at email.unc.edu
Wed Mar 15 20:03:55 EST 2006

Hello,

I am an MSLS student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill,
and am undertaking a research study looking into the cost models
necessary to support digitization initiatives at small and medium-sized
institutions.  The advisor for this study is Dr. Paul Conway, Director
of Digital Asset Initiatives at Duke University Libraries. I am looking
for 5 to 7 people to interview about their experience with this issue.

1)    Have you managed a digitization project at a small or medium-sized
Archives or other Cultural Heritage Institution (less than 15 FTE staff
members)?
2)    Would you be willing to engage in one to two telephone interviews,
no more than one hour in total?

If these qualifications fit your experience, I would appreciate your
participation immensely. Managers of grant-funded projects are
particularly encouraged to participate. Participation is voluntary, and
confidentiality is guaranteed. The goal of this project is to improve
the state of knowledge for smaller institutions about to attempt
digitization projects.  Of particular emphasis are the digital
preservation costs associated with storage media.

If you are able to contribute, please contact me at casden at email.unc.edu.

Thanks Sincerely,
Jason Casden

This study approved by the Institutional Review Board of the University
of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, #05-0955.