[SOA] Chicago Tribune on Antioch's Archives/Spec Colls

Janet Carleton carleton at ohiou.edu
Thu Jul 5 16:44:44 EDT 2007

CHICAGO TRIBUNE Lit life
Where do the books go when a college closes?
By Julia Keller
Published July 1, 2007

So it'll go. The little college with the big history will disappear, at
least on paper....Antioch College in Yellow Springs, Ohio....

Still undetermined, though, is the fate of the Olive Kettering Library. The
stolid-looking brick building on the serene campus in west-central Ohio
houses some 325,000 books. Yet its irreplaceable heritage is its special
collections, including the papers of Horace Mann, Antioch's first president....

"We are told that the library will be maintained. What that means, I'm not
sure," said a worried-sounding Nina Myatt in an interview last week at the
library.  Myatt, Antioch class of '53, is the curator of Antioch's special
collections. She's only the third person to hold that job since 1900. She
loves what she does, and until the trustees dropped their bombshell last
month, she had no plans to retire....

More....
http://www.chicagotribune.com/services/newspaper/premium/printedition/Sunday/art/chi-0701_litlife2jul01,1,917131.story?ctrack=1&cset=true