[SOA] American Archives Month Directory & Poster Gallery - Ready for your 2007 entries!

Janet M. Carleton carleton at ohio.edu
Sat Sep 15 20:55:21 EDT 2007

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Friday, September 14, 2007 12:12 PM -0500
From: Victoria Walch <vwalch at statearchivists.org>
To: COSHRC-L at lists.Maine.edu, Archives Listserv
<archives at forums.archivists.org>, archival_leaders at aall.archivists.org,
LOCALGOVT_ARCHIVES at lists.Maine.edu
Subject: [AALL] American Archives Month Directory & Poster Gallery - Ready
for your 2007 entries!

Please excuse cross postings.

It's the season for American Archives Month 2007 and we've just finished
updating the Directory of Archives Week/Month activities at
http://www.statearchivists.org/archivesmonth/AAM-directory.htm and the
Archives Week/Month poster gallery at
http://www.statearchivists.org/archivesmonth/AAM-posters.htm

It's wonderful to see how these celebrations have grown.  CoSA welcomes the
move to "American Archives Month" as national coordination of our
collective efforts grows.

Please be sure to check out SAA's American Archives Month Public
Relations Kit, "Celebrating the American Record" at
http://www.archivists.org/news/AMKit_2007.pdf, a wonderful resource for all
of us as we prepare for outreach efforts in October—or any time of the
year!

Whether your institution or organization celebrates for a day, a week, or a
month, it all supports the same fundamental goal: to spread the word that
archival records are important in every aspect of society and that the work
that archivists do is incredibly fulfilling.

We've compiled the 2007 information currently in the directory mostly from
what we could find online.  Please send along your announcements, links,
and other information so we can include them too.  And let us know if
anything already there needs correcting!

Also be sure to send an image of your poster if you have one (or several!).
The Poster Gallery has grown so large that it's now presented in two
sections—2005-07 on one page, 2004 and earlier on a second. There are now
more than 70 wonderful posters to view.

At least five states that have developed guides to help repositories
organize Archives Week/Month activities: Georgia, New York, North Carolina,
Tennessee, and Wisconsin. Much of the advice they provide is easily
transferred across state lines, so if you're thinking about starting an
Archives Week/Month observance in your repository, you're sure to find
something in one of these to help. See
www.statearchivists.org/archivesmonth/index.htm#guides

If you're curious about how Archives Week got started and evolved, you'll
find background information and articles on its history at
http://www.statearchivists.org/archivesmonth/AAM-bkgd.htm ..

Send whatever you'd like to contribute to CoSA staff members Jenifer
Burlis-Freilich (jbfreilich at statearchivists.org) or Vicki Walch
(vwalch at statearchivists.org).

Thanks to everyone involved for your commitment to this important
collective endeavor.  We hope you all have a great time spreading the word
about the importance of archives!

Vicki

Victoria Walch
Executive Director