[SOA] February Action Alert on PAHR - Preserving the American Historical Record

Janet Carleton carleton at ohio.edu
Tue Feb 26 10:34:56 EST 2008

From: "Jenifer Burlis-Freilich" <jbfreilich at statearchivists.org>
To: <archival_leaders at aall.archivists.org>
Subject: [AALL] February Action Alert on PAHR - Preserving the American
Historical Record
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:12:13 -0600

February Action Alert:  Contact House Members Now to Sign on to "Preserving
the American Historical Record" Legislation

The Partnership for the American Historical Record Task Force is seeking
calls and letters to members of the House of Representatives to urge them
to sign on to the "Preserving the American Historical Record" legislation,
which will be introduced soon by Congressman Maurice Hinchey (D-NY, 22nd
district).  The Congressman would like to have as many co-sponsors as
possible before introducing the bill.  Current sponsors are:  Jerrold
Nadler (D-NY 8th), John McHugh (R- NY 23rd), Sanford Bishop (D-GA 2nd),
Carolyn Maloney (D-NY 14th), and Edolphus Towns (D-NY 10th).

It is critical that we work now to enlist as many Members of Congress as
possible to sign on to the bill – and that the co-sponsors represent a
diversity of states and both parties.  (The current list of sponsors is
heavily weighted to the East Coast and the Democratic party.)  As several
Members of Congress have said to me, PAHR clearly represents a non-partisan
issue.  I would add that it is also a nationwide issue – and we need
representation "from sea to shining sea."

Act now – as Congress reconvenes from its winter break.

In the next few days Congressmen Hinchey will send a "Dear Colleague"
letter to invite his House colleagues to join him as sponsors.  Although
some Members will wait to see the letter before signing on, others will do
so sooner.  Notwithstanding their personal preferences on timing, it is
essential that House members know that this bill is of concern to their
constituents so that they WILL sign on. Your efforts will ensure that your
Congressperson has this bill on his or her "radar."

Here's how you can help:

Contact the members of Congress who represent your region and tell them how
important this bill will be to your state.  Please encourage others to do
so as well.  Genealogists, local government officials, researchers of all
kinds, teachers, veterans, and even your favorite aunt can make the case.

To facilitate this, we have posted a number of items on the Web at

<http://www.archivists.org/pahr>www.archivists.org/pahr

* A draft letter* that you can customize and then fax (preferred), email,
or send.

* A draft resolution if you have an organization that is willing to support
PAHR.

* The PAHR fact sheet.

* A generic version of a brochure entitled "Then, Now, Always" that you can
tailor to your own state.

*There is also an Excel file (PAHR-FormulaCalculations-11-2007.xls) in
which you can find the specific amount of funding that would come to your
state if the bill is authorized and appropriated at the proposed level of
$50 million.

It is particularly important that you also call or visit the Member's
office.  A visit to the regional office or the Washington office will have
considerable impact.  If you contact the regional office, ask for the
regional director (the name should be on the website, but if not, ask for
the person in that position.)  If you contact the Washington office, ask
for the Legislative director.

I cannot stress how important it is to have a strong set of co-sponsors for
this bill.  The level of support we get at this point will demonstrate to
Congress whether the bill is viable or just one of those bills introduced
to please a constituent
.

If you have any questions about how to proceed, I'm happy to talk you
through the steps.  Feel free to contact me!  If you're a bit hazy about
PAHR and what it would do for your state or organization, I'm happy to walk
you through that as well.

Please take a few minutes in the coming week to make a call, pay a visit,
or send a fax/email/letter to your Members of Congress.  I'd be grateful if
you'd let me know what you've done; sometimes we can encourage another
person to follow up with the same Representative, and it's always helpful
for us to understand how much "traffic" there is.

It's time to tell Congress that what we do matters a great deal to this
country and its inhabitants. Americans need and deserve the resources to
ensure access to our heritage.  We can do this­with your help!

With best regards,

Kathleen Roe, Chair
Joint Task Force on PAHR
Council of State Archivists
Society of American Archivists
National Association of Government Archives and Records Administrators

   Janet M. Carleton --- carleton at ohio.edu --- 740/597-2527
Digital Initiatives Coordinator / Women's & Gender Studies Bibliographer
      Alden 235A, Ohio University Libraries, Athens, Ohio
                   http://www.library.ohiou.edu/