[SOA] PAHR Advocacy Alert - Help secure federal funding for Ohio's historical records

Jelain Chubb jchubb at ohiohistory.org
Tue Feb 26 16:30:30 EST 2008

To our Archival Colleagues in Ohio:

The Ohio Historical Society, State Archives, and the Ohio Historical Records Advisory Board have been working for several months to educate our congressional delegation about status of historical records in Ohio and the positive impact that passage of the "Preserving the American
Historical Record" Act would have on our collective ability to manage, preserve and make available the records that document our state's history and its people. Letters, phone calls and personal visits have broken the ice.

Now we need your help. Please call or fax a letter to your member of the US House of Representatives and ask them to sign on as a sponsor of this important legislation.

If you are not familiar with PAHR the following message will provide important information on the Act. Please note that if PAHR is funded at the $50 million level, Ohio would receive approximately $1.7 million annually to be distributed through grants administered by the State Archives to repositories of historical records, including but not limited to: local governments, historical societies, libraries, colleges and universities.

We think you will agree that $1.7 million in annual funding would go a long way in improving the preservation of and access to Ohio's documentary heritage.

With best regards and many thanks,

Jelain Chubb, CA, CRM
State Archivist
Ohio Historical Society