[SOA] An Idea for Something Different during Archives Month

Jennie Thomas jthomas at rockhall.org
Tue Jul 31 11:53:38 EDT 2012

After some discussion here at the Rock Hall and with some members of the Cleveland Archival Roundtable, the Library and Archives would like to host an evening of readings, based on a theme similar to "The Peoples of Ohio: Musicians and Music From Polonaise to Polka and Punk"--encompassing all genres of music, not just focusing on rock and roll--and we would like to invite other Ohio repositories to come and participate! We haven't chosen an exact date yet, because we'd like to allow for the most participation, but we are looking at holding this during the week of October 1-5.

The premise of the program is to have participants read from items in their collections related to the theme. This could include rare books, historical serial publications, manuscripts, handbills, correspondence, diaries, and so on. In order to garner more interest, we're also considering trying to incorporate some live musical performances by local singer-songwriters. Items in our collections from which we are considering reading include concert notes from the Jane Scott Papers, correspondence from the Les Paul Papers, portions of Mike Hudson's "Diary of a Punk" or Cheetah Chrome's "A Dead Boy's Tale;" while integrating excerpts of the music referred to in the reading or as examples of the writer's work. Jeremy Feador, archivist at Baldwin Wallace, is interested in reading a student account of BW's annual Bach Fest event with a recording, and Cleveland State has expressed interested in participating with item(s) from one of their six music collections.

I hope that you'll consider coming out and participating! Feel free to contact me, jthomas at rockhall.org, or Jeremy, jfeador at bw.edu, if you have any questions, and, if you are interested in participating, please let me know which evening during the week of October 1-5 would work best for you.

Thanks!

Jennie Thomas | Head Archivist
ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME + MUSEUM
Library and Archives
2809 Woodland Avenue | Cleveland, Ohio 44115-3216
216-515-1942 | FAX 216-515-1964
jthomas at rockhall.org