[SOA] Need advice on digitizing photo's

judikcsj at aol.com judikcsj at aol.com
Fri Jun 29 10:24:37 EDT 2012

Dear Fellow Ohio Archivists,

I am a Sister of St. Joseph and our congregation is beginning to look
into digitizing our photograph.  I am looking for advice and suggestions on
doing this project.

For a little background – 6 years ago, 7 congregation of Sisters of St. Joseph
in the mid-west reconfigured and became one congregation.  Each of the
7 groups has its own archive with a good number of photographs.  The categories
would be: individual sisters, ministries, events (assemblies, jubilees, professions etc.)
of their founding congregation.

As I look into this project I realize that I am not real sure what question I should be asking – What programs do others use; What are the advantages and disadvantages of
the different programs; Is their an archive standard as to size, resolution, quality of scanner; What is put into the metadata, etc. ????

Any help that you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help and suggestions,

Sister Judi Keehnen C.S.J.
Congregation of St. Joseph
judikcsj at aol.com