[SOA] permission language

Barb Sedlock bsedlock at defiance.edu
Fri Nov 2 08:18:26 EDT 2012

This is the first time I've dealt with this and would like a couple
other opinions, if the list members would be so kind.

I emailed the photographer of some campus club composite photos about
who owned the copyright, and received this reply:

" [X company] does retain the copyright to any images that we have
taken.  However, please consider this email as a one time release for
you to reproduce these images for your website.  Photographic credits
are requested but not required."

Do you consider this enough documentation to authorize my loading the
digital image of the photos they took to our archives/digitization
website, as long as we give them credit for being the author of the
original photo?  [The photos in question only exist in digital form.
The originals got moldy from being in an inappropriate storage
area--before they were given to the library--and we felt that taking a
digital copy and then destroying them was the only recourse.  So we
want to make them available digitally since the originals are no
longer available].

Secondly, how does your institution keep a record of these
permissions?  Print them off and stick them in a paper file?  Put them
into an electronic file?  I assume I would want to keep a record on
hand indefinitely in case someone were to question permissions in the
future.

Thanks,
Barb Sedlock
bsedlock at defiance.edu