[SOA] Advice for dealing with broadcast videocassettes

Nathan Tallman ntallman at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 16:00:19 EDT 2013

Carrie,

Are these 3/4" Umatic video cassettes? (They sound like it, try googling
for images.) You can probably find some players on ebay or on a/v hobby
shops. We have tons of Umatic and for many years weren't able to do
anything with them. Then we stumbled upon a player and with the right
cables were able to watch the recordings. Umatic usually holds up better
than VHS, so it might outlast your VHS.

Even if you can't play them, if you have some description, you might want
to hold on to them. Vendors can digitize them. (We've used SceneSavers in
Covington, KY before, they do an excellent job.) Some of our Umatic is
starting to get used now, so we're glad we kept them.

Incidentally, we seem to keep getting Umatic video cassettes in new
donations!

Best,
Nathan