[SOA] OhioDIG 9/9 registration open

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Wed Aug 26 17:52:38 EDT 2015

Please join the Ohio Digitization Interest Group at our March meeting at 10am on Wednesday, Sept 9, 2015, at the Westerville Public Library.

Our discussion group meeting will include a presentation: "Harnessing the Lifecycle: Planning and Implementing a Strategic Digital Collections Infrastructure at the OSU Libraries"

Please register by Monday 9/7, 5pm. Limited to 50. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1XQBVBFOl4ec4oD8zA1r-nmdMyZXvp9DvqQVw1uHcHC4/viewform

Theme: "Harnessing the Lifecycle: Planning and Implementing a Strategic Digital Collections Infrastructure at the OSU Libraries"
Speakers:
- Emily Shaw, head, Preservation and Reformatting, the Ohio State University Libraries
- Terry Reese, head, Digital Initiatives, the Ohio State University Libraries

Synopsis: Shaw and Reese will give an overview of the Ohio State University Libraries' multi-year effort to plan, develop and implement a robust infrastructure for lifecycle management of their digital collections. (Longer description at bottom)

TOURS will be of the public and behind-the-scenes areas of the Local History Center (http://www.westervillelibrary.org/local-history). The Center's collections include the John R. Kasich Congressional Collection and Anti-Saloon League Museum, along with many other local history resources.

- Food: Coffee & cookies will be offered at the start of the meeting. Lunch will be brown bag.
- Cost: There is no fee for attending, but we will be accepting donations for the coffee kitty.
- Site: Westerville Public Library, 126 S. State St, Westerville, Ohio.
- Directions & parking:
   - Parking is free, no pass needed.
   - Directions: http://www.westervillelibrary.org/directions

AGENDA
- 10:00-10:30 coffee social (coffee & cookies);
- 10:30-11:30 presentation and discussion on topic;
- 11:30-11:45 break;
- 11:45-1:00 brown bag lunch: all-attendee updates, "members" meeting, discussion;
- 1:15- optional: small group discussions (user groups, birds of a feather);
- 1. 1:15-1:40 optional:  tour of  Local History Center - public area (limited to 20 people);
- 2. 1:15-1:40 optional:  tour of  Local History Center - behind-the-scenes (limited to 20 people);
- 3. 1:45-2:10 optional:  tour of  Local History Center - public area (limited to 20 people);
- 4. 1:45-2:10 optional:  tour of  Local History Center - behind-the-scenes (limited to 20 people);

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Harnessing the Lifecycle: Planning and Implementing a Strategic Digital Collections Infrastructure at the OSU Libraries
Emily Shaw, Head of Preservation and Reformatting & Terry Reese, Head of Digital Initiatives

The OSU Libraries did not enter the digital library sphere with an overarching strategy, a unified infrastructure, or standards-based workflows for managing the lifecycle of digital collections. For nearly a decade, digital content was created, acquired, described and managed in a fragmented smattering of siloed systems that became increasingly difficult to maintain and were ultimately incapable of achieving the long-term preservation and widespread sharing to which the Libraries aspiring.

Though the Libraries' institutional repository, the OSU Knowledge Bank, has been expertly managed for years, the DSpace platform alone is not well suited to the management of OSUL's wide and growing diversity of digital collections. Thus, for the past several years, the OSU Libraries has been investing heavily in planning and developing a robust digital collections infrastructure. Comprised of both local repositories like the Knowledge Bank and a Fedora repository we are calling the Master Objects Repository (MOR), as well as remote repositories like HathiTrust and the OhioLINK ETD Center, our overarching goal is to take control of the lifecycle of the digital content under our stewardship, and significantly enhance access, management and preservation in a way that is flexible, sustainable and cost effective.

Thus, as we begin stand up pieces of the new digital collections infrastructure, a team of colleagues from across the Libraries is creating policies for deciding what goes where for both new and legacy content, workflows for preparing content for ingest, and recommendations to prioritize ongoing development. This presentation will give an overview of our planning process and share some of the documentation currently under development.

See the meetings page for more information: http://ohiodig.org/meetings.html

About OhioDIG: The Ohio Digitization Interest Group is an informal discussion group open to those with an interest in digitization in the archives/library/museum/historical society world. http://ohiodig.org/

OHIO University

Janet Carleton | Digital Initiatives Coordinator | University Libraries | 1 Ohio University | Alden 322 | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu<mailto:carleton at ohio.edu> | http://media.library.ohiou.edu<http://media.library.ohiou.edu/> | http://twitter.com/jcarletonoh | http://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital | http://ohiou-digital-collections.tumblr.com/ | http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/