[SOA] SWON Weekly: Data Management, Office Politics and the Spring Membership Meeting

Cassondra Vick cassondra at swonlibraries.org
Tue Mar 29 15:39:35 EDT 2016

SWON serves libraries in Kentucky and Ohio!
If this email does not display properly use this link:
http://swonlibraries.org/news/281993/Data-Management-Office-Politics-and-the-Spring-Membership-Meeting.htm

 SWON Libraries

SWON Libraries // Weekly

What do you do with all that data?
Research generates data. The question for researchers and librarians is:
After the research is over, what do we do with all that data?
Institutions are increasingly asking their researchers to develop data
management plans[1], which describe what to do with data during research
and, more important from a library’s perspective, what the researcher
intends to do with the data once the project is completed. In the past,
much of this data may have had a physical presence, but these days, data
is often digital, which creates a new set of questions and concerns,
such as “What is the best format in which to record the data to allow
for later retrieval?”
Libraries are an important part of both data collection, management, and
archival and as such, librarians need to be aware of the best practices
surrounding data management. Furthermore, in this Internet-connected
age, it is important to consider the benefits and ramifications of
sharing data. As organizations that have long promoted the sharing of
information, libraries have a vested interest in this conversation, and
are in an excellent position to serve as partners in data management.
Anyone who works with researchers and their data is invited to join us
before our Spring Membership Meeting [2]for a special presentation by
Jack O’Gorman[3] on data management. O’Gorman is a reference librarian
at the University of Dayton with an interest in data management. Check
out his excellent research guide on writing a data management plan[4]
and come hear him speak at Dayton Metro Library’s Miami Township Branch
on April 19th.

~Cassondra Vick, Technology Educator, SWON Libraries

Office Politics and Your "Political Landscape"

Not an academic librarian? We still have plenty for you to do on April
19th! Plan on attending our Spring Membership Meeting,[5] where our
featured speaker, Barry Morris will talk about “Navigating YOUR
Political Landscape.”
We’re all tired of politics, but we’re not talking about THAT kind of
politics. Organizational politics involve the unwritten rules and
unofficial power-players of your workplace and these are politics you
may not be able to afford to ignore. Want to enjoy a delicious lunch, a
tour of the new Miami Township branch, and learn more about how to deal
with the politics of your office?  Register now and join us in Miami
Township starting at noon. And stay after Barry’s presentation for our
Membership meeting to vote and learn more about SWON.

Register Now[6]

ALAO Scholarship Deadline: April 10th
The Academic Library Association of Ohio (ALAO) values diversity in its
membership, in the profession, and in future library professionals. For
this reason, we offer a $1,500 scholarship to a promising student
enrolled in an ALA-accredited MLIS program who exemplifies the qualities
needed to ensure a diverse library workforce.
The scholarship will be applied directly to the recipient’s bursar
account for tuition at his or her academic institution. As the
scholarship recipient, the student also will receive a complimentary
registration for ALAO’s Annual Conference and a year of mentoring by a
selected ALAO Member.
Applications will be accpeted until April 10th at:
https://ohio.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_ctDnbiaShSwodPn[7]
For additional information or questions, please contact the ALAO
Diversity Committee Chair[8].

Coming up on the calendar[9]
*Please register for online classes at least two days before they
take place.*

 * *Level-Up Lab: Positive Approaches to Resolving Performance & Conduct
   Problems [10] *
 4/4/2016 - Blue Ash, Ohio
 * *UC DATA DAY 2016 [11] *
 4/5/2016 - University of Cincinnati
 * *Children's Literature Evaluation and Review Interest Group
   (CLEAR)-OH [12] *
 4/8/16 - Blue Ash, Ohio
 * *Reviewers of Young Adult Literature Interest Group (ROYAL)
   Fairfield [13] *
4/13/16 - Fairfield, Ohio
 * *Webinar: Libraries & Museums Serving Free Summer Meals [14] *
4/13/2016 - Online
 * *Children's Literature Evaluation and Review Interest Group (CLEAR)
   - KY [15] *
4/14/2016 - Covington, Kentucky

Looking ahead...
*Save the date for these events...*

 * *Staff Training Symposium: Innovators Next Door [16] *
5/11/2016 - Dayton, Ohio
 * *Teen Summer Reading SLIP [17] *
 6/1/2016 to 7/31/2016
 * *21st Annual Picture Book Read-In [18] *
8/23/2016 - West Chester, OH
 * *OKI Children’s Literature Conference [19] *
11/5/2016 - Crestview Hills, KY

You’re receiving this because you’re an awesome SWON Libraries customer
or subscribed via our site[20].

Follow us on Twitter Visit us on Facebook

SWON Libraries

10250 Alliance Road, Suite 112
Blue Ash, OH 45242

Links: