[SOA] Reminder: OhioDIG 1/17 Reaching Teachers: Successful Digital Outreach to K-12 - Register now

Carleton, Janet carleton at ohio.edu
Thu Jan 12 07:22:34 EST 2017

Please join the Ohio Digitization Interest Group for our January meeting at the Ohio History Connection on Tuesday, January 17, 2017.

(Snow date: Wednesday, February 1, 2017)

Please register by Sunday 1/15, 5pm. Limited to 50. https://goo.gl/forms/0t5uctZ3lom9JUSF3

- Presentation: Reaching Teachers: Successful Digital Outreach to K-12

- Speakers:
    - Alexandria Halmbacher, Ohio as America coordinator at the Ohio History Connection, will discuss how she has used digitized history content to construct k-12 education resources, specifically in relation to Ohio as America 2.0, a 4th grade online social studies textbook that serves over 23,000 students across the state of Ohio. Halmbacher is a member of the Digital Literacy Task Force and has worked with numerous school districts as well as state and local history organizations to develop and implement k-12 curriculum. She has designed and facilitated educator professional development workshops across the state of Ohio on topics such as blended learning, online textbooks, curriculum development, and using digital resources in the classroom.
    - Brandi Young, ILibrarian, INFOhio, will discuss what educators want/expect from digital librarians/archivists in terms of digital collections and educational resources.

- Host: Jenni Salamon and Lily Birkhimer
- Food: Coffee & snacks will be offered at the start of the meeting. Lunch will be brown bag.
- Cost: There is no fee for attending, but we will be accepting donations for the refreshment kitty.

- Tour
We'll tour the three galleries that make up the Ohio History Connection’s Great Collections Experiment, with one of the head curators on the project. The Great Collections Experiment explores new ways of displaying and sharing more of the amazing, priceless, and sometimes quirky objects in our vast collection! For more information, visit https://www.ohiohistory.org/visit/exhibits/ohio-history-center-exhibits/great-collections-experiment

AGENDA
-              10:00-10:30 coffee social (coffee & cookies);
-              10:30-11:30 presentation and discussion on topic;
-              11:30-11:45 break;
-              11:45-1:00 brown bag lunch: announcements, all-attendee updates, discussion;
-              1:15 tour (optional)

Location: Ohio History Center, 3rd floor Archives/Library Classroom, 800 E. 17th Ave, Columbus, OH 43211
Directions: https://www.ohiohistory.org/visit/ohio-history-center
Parking: Free, onsite

Ohio Digitization Interest Group - http://ohiodig.org/

Sub/unsub from the List at http://ohiodig.org/listserv.html

| Regional Events Calendar: http://ohiodig.org/calendar.html | Meetings: http://ohiodig.org/meetings.html | Resources: http://ohiodig.org/resources.html |

| Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/OhioDIG/ | Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/ohiodig/ | Twitter:  https://twitter.com/hashtag/ohiodig |

About OhioDIG: The Ohio Digitization Interest Group is an informal discussion group open to all with an interest in digitization in the archives/library/museum/historical society world. We meet every other month, primarily in central Ohio (Jan, Mar, May, Jul, Sep, Nov).

OHIO University

Janet Carleton | Digital Initiatives Coordinator | University Libraries | 1 Ohio University | Alden 322 | Athens, Ohio | 740.597.2527 | carleton at ohio.edu<mailto:carleton at ohio.edu> | http://media.library.ohiou.edu<http://media.library.ohiou.edu/> | http://twitter.com/jcarletonoh | http://twitter.com/AldenLibDigital | http://ohiou-digital-collections.tumblr.com/ | http://pinterest.com/OhioDigiArchive/