[SOA] thoughts on accepting new accessions in COVID times?

Rickey, Lisa Pasquinelli lisa.rickey at wright.edu
Mon Jul 20 09:53:38 EDT 2020

Hello,

As libraries and archives are beginning to open back up (to varying degrees) following COVID-19 closures, I am curious what, if anything, repositories are changing (or plan to change) about the way they accept new physical materials from community members.

  *   Are you delaying the receipt of materials, asking donors to wait? And if so, until what/when?
  *   Will you still be going out into the community to conduct on-site visits, appraise potential new accessions, and/or physically retrieve the collections?
  *   Will donors be allowed (or perhaps even required) to drop-off their own materials at your repository?
  *   Will you carry on much as before with respect to acquiring new collections or aim to only accept "additions" (to existing collections), in order to maintain relationships with existing donors.

I would welcome feedback on this from archivists at all types of institutions.
If there is interest in such a thing, I would be happy to arrange a group video-chat wherein all of us could "think out loud."

Thanks so much,
Lisa Rickey

Lisa P. Rickey, MA, MLIS, CA
Archivist/ Collections Manager
Special Collections and Archives, Wright State University Libraries
401 Dunbar Library, 3640 Colonel Glenn Hwy., Dayton, OH 45435
(937) 775-3581
lisa.rickey at wright.edu<mailto:lisa.rickey at wright.edu>