[SOA] thoughts on accepting new accessions in COVID times?

Dean DeBolt ddebolt at uwf.edu
Mon Jul 20 10:08:43 EDT 2020

Since I initially got my Archives training at OSU and Ohio Historical
Society, and spent most of my early career in Illinois,
it is hard to not think of myself as a midwestern archivist -- and I came
to a library in the Deep South where the head and
four directors were from Iowa, Illinois, Indiana!   Anyway, I am still
going out and picking up donations from individuals as
they have time at home to "clean" and sort.  I am taking the most extreme
precautions that I can...picking boxes up on
porches, using gloves, sanitizer, wiping boxes down, and isolating
collections once in the repository.   I talk with the donors
on the phone and by email...and IF they feel comfortable keeping the
material til a later date, I create a future contact and
pickup plan, as well as occasionally emailing them to let them know I have
not forgotten.  In truth, we have not gotten more
than a half dozen donations since shutting down March 13 and since the
library is physically not open...most folks know
not to contact -- but we are staffed and are doing whatever we can in the
library for students and classes, and I'm expanded
research services as well as digitization to accommodate whatever requests
we can help with.

Dean

Dean DeBolt, University Librarian (Professor)/University Archivist
UWF Archives and West Florida History Center
University of West Florida Library
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
ddebolt at uwf.edu;   850-474-2213

West Florida History Center is the largest and most comprehensive
history collection about Pensacola and the West Florida region.
http://libguides.uwf.edu/universityarchives

Digital collections can be found at:  http://uwf.lyrasistechnology.org
<http://archives.uwf.edu/>
and http://uwf.digital.flvc.org

If we've been of service, please let us know or our administration,
Dean of Libraries <sclark2 at uwf.edu>