[OPLINLIST] Dealing with Graffiti

Chad Neeper CNeeper@nrg92.com
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 12:05:58 -0500

Robin,

Instead of continually repainting the bathroom stalls or using "graffitti =
proof" paint, how about painting the stalls with chalkboard paint (or =
mount a small chalk board) and providing a bit of chalk on a string? If =
the would-be vandals opted to use the readily-available chalk instead of =
something more permanent, cleaning up the mess would be a lot easier and =
could be done each night.

I can see advantages and disadvantages to this idea, but I though I would =
mention it anyway.

Chad

---------------------
Chad Neeper
Senior Systems Engineer
Network Response Group
614-481-9400

--  Full LAN/WAN consulting services specialized in libraries and schools  =
--

>>> "Weinstein, Robin" <RWeinstein@mailserv.gcpl.lib.oh.us> 12/19/03 =
11:28AM >>>
Hi, Everyone,

Merry Christmas!

Our downstairs restrooms serve the young adult, adult fiction, and =
children's areas, in addition to the meeting room. The bathroom entrances =
can't be seen from the juvenile desk. A recent spate of graffiti writing =
and etching necessitated that the stall partitions in the girl's restroom =
(two toilets) be sanded and repainted (unfortunately the City cannot =
afford graffiti-resistant paint). Once the partitions were reinstalled, =
the graffiti reappeared.

We do regular bathroom checks and have security cameras monitoring the =
hallway outside of the restrooms. In addition we've posted signage, =
restricted access to the bathroom keys, and installed storeroom locks on =
the restroom doors.  Still, the problem persists and I'm afraid our oak =
doors in the restrooms are next.

How have you dealt with this problem?

Robin Weinstein
Head Librarian
Fairborn Community Library
1 E. Main St.
Fairborn, OH 45324
Voice: (937) 878-9383, Ext. 201
Fax: (937) 878-0374

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten."