[OPLINLIST] Dr. Mary T. Kim

Susan Banks sbanks@marysvillelib.org
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:49:05 -0400

burden a little, I feel the need to publicly recognize the influence of
Dr. Kim on this particular KSU-SLIS Columbus graduate.

As an instructor, an advisor and a mentor, Dr. Kim was consistently
tough, fair and funny.  She had high standards that drove us to
achieve and made the Columbus program a force to be reckoned
with.  I am incredibly proud to have worked for her, studied under
her and been a part of the life of the Columbus program.

In her time with us she created a sense of place and identity for
those of us studying on the Columbus campus.  We built networks,
friendships and professional relationships as strong, stable and
scholarly as any on a larger campus.  I believe that sense of
community and commitment to quality to be at the heart of
librarianship -- and I attribute my success in the field (such as it is)
to those very connections forged through my studies with Dr. Kim
and her department.

I will miss her.  The field will miss her.  And I regret that those who
follow in the Kent SLIS program will not have the privilege of
studying with her.  Thank you Dr. Kim.  Put in a good word for us
up there.

Sue

Susan Banks
Director,