[OPLINLIST] Paging patrons for computer appointments

Don Yarman yarmando@oplin.org
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:00:12 -0500

On February 19, I asked the list how your libraries were struggling with
the controlling customer time on your public workstations.  Some

It's clear that everyone is grappling with this issue, and I am
impressed with the range of creative options the library community
employs to help make their jobs easier.  In addition, there were MANY
vendors at PLA offering possible automation solutions, and many of those
were mentioned by those of you who responded to my question.  A summary
of the responses is below.

This is one of my favorite topics.  If you see me around, at a
conference or something, feel free to bend my ear about what you're
doing to manage public access to your computer workstations.

     Your most humble and obedient servant,

                          Don Yarman
                          OPLIN Library Services Manager
                          yarmando@oplin.org

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Bill Hudgins, Lane Public Library, suggests Robotutor (robotutor.com).
Computers could be registered as "classes" and patrons could be
registered to use them by signing up one person per computer per
sesssion (defined by you as start and end time).  No automatic cut-off
or notification, but it does automate reservations.

Gerry Vogel, Dayton Metro Library, uses manual sign-up but manages the
waiting list with 12 restaraunt-type coaster pagers, made by J-Tech.  No
way to tell people how long they'll have to wait, but at least they
don't have to chase them around.  The system was expensive and not very
durable -- it had to be refurbished after 2.5 years.

Jim Mann, Greene County Public Library, uses PCReservation from
Envisionware.  Patrons get a receipt that tells them the computer name,
time of reservation, and a PIN to access.  Pagers, they decided, were
too expensive and intrusive.  Computers could sit idle if someone is not
using the workstation during the reserved time, but because of how GCPL
has the system configured, idle time is actually 10 minutes or less.
(Karen Sonderman, North Canton Public Library, reports they are happy
with PCreservation as well).

Christy Clark, Muskingum County Library System, uses Pharos Sign-up
(http://www.pharos.com/Products/SignUp.asp).  It has taken a tremendous
load off of our staff and is working great.

Patty Fonseca, Clark County Public Library, is looking into SAM from
Comprise, adding an LED "Now Serving" type panel.  No experience with it
yet, but they're hopeful.

Ruth Mizik, Hubbard Public Library, has assigned each computer a barcode
and brief cataloging record.  Computers are first-come-first-served with
a 1 hour time limit.  The computer is checked out to the patron and
checked in when the patron is through.  Their system keeps track of when
a patron begins using the computer, but that information is deleted when
the computer is checked back in.

Cinda Bretz Wallace, Willard Memorial Library, has patrons manually sign
up for a specific time, leaving it to them to keep track of the time.

Marsha Wagner, Rossford Public Library, uses CybraryN to establish a
time limit which they can extend.  Reservations do not appear to be a
feature of their system.

Bob Gale, Newark Public Library System, controls the time using
Pac4Windows on their Dynix/Horizon system.  Reservations are not a
feature, but they may implement Pharos for sign-up.

Frank Atkinson, Ohio Capital Connection, suggests that you text-message
the patrons on their cel phones to alert them of their time.  That, of
course, opens a completely different can of worms.