[OPLINLIST] Providing coffee service?

Barbara Pickell bpickell@fcdlibrary.org
Sat, 06 Mar 2004 15:30:08 -0500

Not at this library, but at the last place I worked, we had soda, coffee and snack
machines.  They were in the Friends room, around the corner from the circ desk,
but not in direct sight.  This became the YA room of choice, which led to a few
problems, like M&M fights.  Many of our Friends, retired school teachers in
particular, were more concerned about the occasional problems than I was.  Most
times, we had people studying or reading.  We could also send people who were
trying to eat or drink in other parts of the library out there.  I even thought
about creating an Internet cafe atmosphere by providing computers in that space,
but hadn't gotten around to it before I left.

We went with machines because of the expense of meeting health department
requirements for a staffed space (two sinks required).  I know of another library
that had expanded and included a cafe space, but had a terrible time keeping a
vendor because the profits weren't high enough.  We started out with soda, coffee
and cocoa, but added water almost immediately because of demand, and charged more
for it than we did for other beverages.  We didn't require lids, and actually had
very little damage to the room or the material.

Barbara J. Pickell
Library Director
Fairfield County District Library
219 N. Broad St.