[OPLINLIST] What's New on NetWellness

Kishman, Charles (kishmacp) KISHMACP@UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:16:36 -0400

What's New on NetWellness - August 8, 2005

August's feature

It's That Time of the Year.....and this month's feature will not only =
help
you prepare for the beginning of the school year, but will also give =
you
information you can use throughout the upcoming school year.  Whether =
you
need tips on packing nutritious school lunches or are just wondering =
how
you're going to get those little ones into bed on school nights, =
NetWellness
is here to help.  And don't forget that you can turn to NetWellness for =
that
science and health homework!

Department of the Month - Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism =
(Internal
Medicine)

Faculty from the Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism of the =
University
of Cincinnati Department of Internal Medicine answer questions and =
write
original content for the NetWellness topic, Diabetes. The faculty and
fellows in this division care for patients with diabetes and other =
diseases
of the endocrine system at the University Hospital, the Veterans
Administration Hospital and through faculty practices in various =
ambulatory
care facilities. The Bone Health and Osteoporosis Center and the newly
opened Diabetes Center are state-of-the-art specialized centers in the
clinical management of these conditions.
The division is also involved in the national ACCORD study. This is a
long-term study to find new ways to cut the heightened risk of
cardiovascular disease in diabetics. As part of the Action to Control
Cardiovascular Risk in Diabetes (ACCORD) Study, thousands of qualifying
participants are getting free regularly scheduled exams, medication and
other treatments, and consistent, long-term care.
Faculty experts from the Division of Endocrinology & Metabolism =
include:
Robert M Cohen, MD, and David D=B4Alessio, MD.

New African American Health Center Unveiled

NetWellness' African American Health Center was unveiled at the
Congressional Black Caucus Health Braintrust "Public Forum on Health
Disparities" held Saturday, July 16 at Case Western Reserve University. =
The
center features original articles written by experts in the field, =
access to
experts on health topics relevant to African Americans, and links to
high-quality websites. U.S. Representative Stephanie Tubbs Jones =
(D-11th OH)
is convinced that, "To impact health disparities, it is vital that all =
of us
-- lawmakers, grass-roots organizations, health systems and =
universities --
work together.  It is wonderful to see Ohio's research universities =
taking a
leadership role to provide the best information for all our nation's
citizens."  =20

Stroke - New Expert/New Content!

NetWellness welcomes Jean E. Starr, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery =
and
Director, Endovascular Services, Department of Surgery, College of =
Medicine
and Public Health at The Ohio State University.  As a vascular surgeon, =
Dr.
Starr has expertise in carotid artery stenting, a new system that opens =
the
narrowing in the carotid neck artery to prevent a stroke.  Read more =
about
this procedure in Dr. Starr's article, Carotid Artery Stenting.=20

Pulmonary Hypertension - New Topic/New Expert!
 =20
Pulmonary Hypertension is a lung disorder in which blood pressure in =
the
vessel carrying oxygen-poor blood from the heart to the lungs - the
pulmonary artery - rises above normal levels.  NetWellness welcomes =
Namita
Sood, MD, FCCP, Assistant Professor and Director, Pulmonary =
Hypertension
Program, Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care, College of Medicine =
and
Public Health at The Ohio State University as a new expert in this =
area.

Women's Health - New Experts!=20
=20
NetWellness welcomes several experts in our newly opened Women's Health
Center. Participating from  The Ohio State University are Linda =
Bernhard,
PhD, RN, Associate Professor in the College of Nursing; Allison
Macerollo,MD, Clinical Assistant Professor and W. Fred Miser, MD, both =
in
the Department of Family Medicine, College of Medicine and Public =
Health ;
Subha V. Raman, MD, MS, FACC, Assistant Professor and  Medical =
Director,
Cardiac MRI & CT, Division of Cardiovascular Medicine, College of =
Medicine
and Public Health; and Jonathan Schaffir, MD,  Assistant Professor,
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Medicine and Public
Health. Faculty from Case Western Reserve University include Esa M. =
Davis,
MD, MPH, Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine , School of
Medicine; Yiping Han, PhD, Assistant Professor, Periodontics, =
Department of
Periodontology, School of Dental Medicine; Barbara Morrison, PhD, CNM, =
FNP,
Assistant Professor of Nursing, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing; =
 and
Miriam Rosenthal, MD, Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry and =
the
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology,  School of Medicine.  =
Participating
from the University of Cincinnati is M. Joyce Dienger, DNSc, RN, =
Assistant
Professor of Nursing, College of Nursing.  The Women's Health team of
experts will answer general questions about health issues of interest =
women.

Addiction and Substance Abuse - PowerPoint Presentation

Raising a Drug Free Family is a power point presentation developed by =
the
tru2u Family Program for parents and others who care about preventing =
drug
use among teens, and has been adapted for use on NetWellness. =20
Many of the slides in the presentation have accompanying notes that =
provide
talking points that can be used while giving a demonstration and can =
serve
as a valuable tool for teachers, parents and health educators. This =
slide
presentation was prepared by Antonnette Graham, PhD, Professor of =
Family
Medicine, General Medical Science (Adolescent Health), Psychiatry, and
Nursing,  Department of Family Medicine at Case Western Reserve =
University.=20

Hemochromatosis- New Topic/New Experts!

Never heard of Hemochromatosis?  You're not alone.  It is a common =
blood
disorder that is easy to treat, but low on the list of suspected =
diseases
when patients have vague symptoms.  Visit this new health topic to =
learn the
latest information.  Answering your questions about hemochromatosis are =
new
experts from The Ohio State University College of Medicine and Public
Health:  Eric H. Kraut, MD, Professor and Director, Benign Hematology, =
James
Cancer Hospital & Solove Research Institute; Subha V. Raman, MD, MS, =
FACC,
Assistant Professor and  Medical Director, Cardiac MRI & CT, Division =
of
Cardiovascular Medicine; Amy Curry Sturm, MS, CGC, Certified Genetic
Counselor, Adult Medical Genetics, Division of Human Genetics, =
Department of
Internal Medicine; and Mark Wurster, MD, Clinical Assistant Professor,
Department of Internal Medicine. =20

It's our Tenth anniversary - Let Us Know How We're Doing=20

As we near our tenth year on the internet, we are gathering anecdotes =
about
how NetWellness is helping our users meet their health information =
needs.
Do you have any stories or experiences you would like to share?  If so,
please use our Feedback feature to tell us about them.=20
And don't forget, we are always trying to improve to meet your needs. =
What
do we do well? What can we do to better fit your needs?  Send your =
comments
through our Feedback and we'll get them into the right hands. Thanks =
again
for using NetWellness!=20

About NetWellness

NetWellness is a non-profit consumer health Web site that provides high
quality information created and evaluated by health professions faculty =
at
the University of Cincinnati, Case Western Reserve University, and The =
Ohio
State University. Started in June 1995, NetWellness was one of the =
first
health information sites on the Internet.=20