[OPLINLIST] Bankruptcy

Mark Kister kisterma at oplin.org
Tue Feb 7 01:02:20 EST 2006

Hello everyone,

I am curious how other libraries handle patron bankruptcies in which the
library is listed as a creditor.  I understand that the library then has to
eliminate any charges on the account.  My question is does your library then
block the use of the card for a period of time, or can the patron begin
using the card as soon as their debts are erased?  How do you handle items
which the patron may still have out?  Do you allow a patron with a recent
bankruptcy to assume financial responsibility for a juvenile card?

Thank you,

Mark Kister
Adult Services Director
Amos Memorial Public Library