[OPLINLIST] Wi-Fi Policies

W. Zebulon Smith zebsmith at newtonfalls.org
Fri Jul 7 08:38:04 EDT 2006

The patron may be using their own computer, but it is attached to your
network. Just about any access point worth its salt will allow you to ban a
MAC address, removing their ability to connect to your network but not
requiring you to tamper with the laptop. We have the entire network here
behind a web filter, not only to keep the "naughty" things out, but because
it can also stop things like P2P file sharing that eats your bandwidth or
whatever file type happens to be target Microsoft's flavor of the week
security vulnerability (such as the .wmv file mess a few months ago). I've
been considering the ZoneCD at www.publicip.net also, but haven't tried it
yet.

W. Zebulon Smith
Systems Manager