[OPLINLIST] Publisher lay-down dates

Karen Sonderman sonderka at oplin.org
Fri Jul 21 08:05:53 EDT 2006

Hello,
Several people asked to be told what the response to my honoring or not
honoring publisher lay-down dates question was, and the unanimous response
from the 20+ libraries, large and small, that emailed was "Yes!" They do
honor the lay-down dates.
The reasons cited were professional ethics, formal agreements with
publishers and/or jobbers, fairness to other libraries in consortiums and
the desire to continue to receive titles early by not angering the
publishers.
Several people mentioned that they know of libraries that do not honor the
lay-down date.  I did not hear from any of those libraries, however!
For those of you who responded and "gently" scolded me because you thought
that maybe we do not, we do and will continue to do so.  We put the expected
release date in the entry in our catalog (next to the title), so patrons can
anticipate when the title will arrive on our shelves when they place their
holds.
Thanks to everyone who responded.

Karen Sonderman, Director
North Canton Public Library