[OPLINLIST] The State Library of Ohio October 2006 eNewsletter - Volume 1, Issue 4

Ashlee Clark Aclark at sloma.state.oh.us
Fri Oct 13 16:30:30 EDT 2006

Please excuse duplicate postings.

The State Library of Ohio October 2006 eNewsletter - Volume 1, Issue 4

State Librarian's Message

* Readers' Advisory: Why not let our readers advise?
A month ago someone told me about LibraryThing
(http://www.librarything.com/), a website service that allows one to
catalog one's library ... more at
http://winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/FrontPage.htm

State Library of Ohio News

* State Library Board awards four LSTA grants
At the September 26 State Library Board meeting the Board approved three
LSTA full grants and a special grant to the NetWellness program... more
at http://winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/SLPage.htm#lstafull

* State Library announces "Reference Review II" workshops
Hey...it's not too late. Seats are still available at all 8...count 'em
8 workshops.
That's right! Reference Review II is now accepting reservations... more
at http://winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/SLPage.htm#refreview

* State Library announces "eClassroom" sessions
The State Library's "30 Minute eClassroom" is back with a full schedule
of 30-minute training sessions that combine live instruction and your
own computer and telephone...from the luxury of your own office, cubicle
or work area... more at
http://www.winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/SLPage.htm#eclassroom

* State Library announces E-Rate Workshops around the state
Last year's E-Rate workshops were a great success. Four years ago fewer
than 40 public libraries submitted E-Rate applications. Last year almost
110 public libraries participated in the E-Rate program... more at
http://www.winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/SLPage.htm#eratewkshp

* Alexander Hamilton Exhibit a Success
The State Library of Ohio has enjoyed hosting the American Library
Association sponsored exhibit "Alexander Hamilton: The Man Who Made
Modern America." We received the exhibit on August 31 and will have it
on display through October 12, 2006... more at
http://www.winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/SLPage.htm#hamiltonsuccess.

Public Library News

* OhioLINK Recommends Steps to Ensure that Ohio Research Remains
Available to Ohio Scholars
Researchers and students at Ohio's major universities are authors or
co-authors of more than 12,000 research articles each year in the
world's leading scholarly science, technical, social science, arts and
humanities journals... more at
http://winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/PLPage.htm#ohlink

* James Patterson pledges $500,000 to promote the excitement of books
and reading
In November 2005 James Patterson announced the 34 winners of the
inaugural James Patterson PageTurner Awards. These winners received cash
prizes totaling over $100,000 for going to extraordinary lengths to
spread the joy of books and reading... more at
http://winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/PLPage.htm#patterson

* IMLS Calls for Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian Grant Applications
Recently, the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) called
upon libraries, archives, and library agencies, associations, and
consortia to apply for the Laura Bush 21st Century Librarian grant
program... more at
http://winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/PLPage.htm#laurabush

* ALA offers November Lawyers for Libraries training institute in
Columbus
The American Library Association (ALA) will be presenting the eighth
regional Lawyers for Libraries Training Institute in Columbus, Ohio,
November 3, 2006... more at
http://winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/PLPage.htm#alatrain

* What's all this fuss about FRBR?
As librarians, we have long since gotten used to almost constant change.
Nevertheless, it can still be hard to face changes looming on the
horizon when we do not fully understand their reasons or implications.
FRBR (Functional Requirements for Bibliographic Records) might fall into
this category for many of us... more at
http://winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/PLPage.htm#FRBR

Legislative News

* Congressional Activity on "Orphan Works", Open Access
The "Orphan Works Act of 2006," H.R. 5439, was introduced in May, as a
result of efforts by libraries, publishers, the U.S. Copyright Office,
and other groups to amend the copyright law to deal with works whose
owners are difficult or even impossible to find... more at
http://winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/LegPage.htm#orphan

State Library Board Report

July State Library Board Report
The State Library Board met July 20, 2006 in the Brahm Boardroom of the
State Library, 274 East First Avenue, Columbus, Ohio ... more at
http://winslo.state.oh.us/NewsLtr/BdPage.htm