[OPLINLIST] iPod discussion/solutions

Tamara Murray tmurray at westervillelibrary.org
Sat Dec 29 16:56:53 EST 2007

I posted a question a few days ago about how libraries are dealing with the "iPod issue." I had a few requests from other listserv members to post the reponses; I am doing so here.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! It seems that the only thing everyone agrees on is that there is no easy answer!

The problems to overcome are as follows:
iPods work best with iTunes.
iTunes works best with one-customer account information.
1 customer account information is usually not possible in a public setting.
iPods that are plugged into computers with iTunes are usually wiped clean because of authentication issues.
Many libraries do not allow patrons to download software that will help them get around the above rules.
Most patrons that want to use the library's computers for iPod purposes do not own a home computer.
Even if you wipe computers clean after each patron session, iTunes account settings will stick, making privacy and security a major issue.

Possible solutions:
Use Floola, a free software that allows you to use your iPod like a storage device, and not synch it to iTunes
(An article from LifeHacker offers more info: http://lifehacker.com/software/ipod/hack-attack-add-music-and-movies-to-your-ipod-from-any-computer-without-itunes-237986.php (Thank you, Wes Osborn, Central Library Consortium))
Use Rockbox (www.rockbox.org) software that can "co-exist with the factory firmware on the ipod and does not require
i-tunes to transfer music onto it in order to be playable while using rockbox." (Thank you, Ed Liddle)

Authorize/de-authorize your computer's iTunes settings. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014)

The following libraries do not allow iPod/iTunes use, period, because of the issues involved.
Birchard Library of Sandusky County
Delaware County District Library
Marietta Library - Washington County Public Libraries
Twinsburg Public Library

Some libraries who do not allow iPod/iTunes use suggest the following:
Buying/lending other mp3 players, such as Creative Zen and Sansa SanDisk mp3 players
Offering a 'download station' for use with services such as Overdrive

Tamara Murray
Adult Services Librarian
Westerville Public Library
Westerville, OH 43081