[OPLINLIST] Literary Arts Festival in McArthur

Erick C. Walker walkerer at oplin.org
Thu Mar 29 15:46:30 EST 2007

Third Annual Spring Literary Arts Festival Planned

The Herbert Wescoat Memorial Library and the Friends of the Herbert Wescoat Memorial Library, Inc. will sponsor the third annual Spring Literary Arts Festival April 13-15, 2007. The festival will occur at the library and the Vinton County High School-both located in McArthur, Ohio.

Cherishing Family is the theme of this year's festival, and its program includes two Pulitzer Prize-winning authors, a photographic exhibition, a New York Times' bestselling mystery novelist, a traditional community dinner theater, and a vintage rock concert.

Library director Clint Walker said that he and the library Board of Trustees are thrilled to see such a great lineup for the program this year.

"There continues to be no reason why our rural community can't offer the same kinds of literary and artistic programs found in large cities and academic communities."

"In regards to the festival, it has always been the library's goal," he added, "to bring writers and presenters of regional, national and international prominence to our community. The festival offers a diverse program that should appeal to the literary and artistic tastes of many."

Debbie McNally, president of the Friends of the Library, added that "We are especially pleased the newly-formed Friends' Community Players, a permanent committee of the Friends of the Library, will be offering their debut performance of I Remember Mama with a cast comprised of members of the general and surrounding communities from southeastern Ohio."

The library and the Friends of the Library held their inaugural event in April 2005, garnering praise from both participants and festival attendees for the program's diversity and quality. This year's festival is also guaranteed to please as it features Pulitzer Prize recipients Robert Olen Butler and David M. Oshinsky as well as Lisa Scottoline, a bestselling author of legal thrillers.

Additionally, the program includes musical performances by Randy Moore and the Fabulous Suedes and Backwords; a performance of the Rodgers and Hammerstein classic I Remember Mama; and an exhibition and presentation by renowned photographer Elise Mitchell Sanford. As in earlier years, the festival program contains a guided tour of Vinton County, community dinners, and a reception honoring the winners of a writing contest sponsored by the Friends of the Library.

All festival events, except the community dinners, will be free to the public on a first-come, first-served basis.

Cherishing Family: A Spring Literary Arts Festival is sponsored by the Herbert Wescoat Memorial Library and the Friends of the Herbert Wescoat Memorial Library, Inc., in McArthur, Ohio. The festival opens at 1 p.m. on Friday, April 13, 2007 and the last event will commence at 3 p.m. on Sunday, April 15, 2007. All events are free and open to the public. For more information, contact the library at 740-596-5691 or www.vintoncountypublic.lib.oh.us.