[OPLINLIST] Statewide Resource Sharing: What should the "Next Generation" Look Like?

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney marshams at sloma.state.oh.us
Mon Nov 5 12:35:27 EST 2007

Some of you on this listserv may not have received this message we sent
out last week so we are sending it again.

As a member of Ohio's library community you are invited to a
videoconference on November 14th (10:00 a.m. - 1 p.m.) to contribute in
the planning process for the "Next Generation" of Statewide Resource
Sharing.  There will be seven sites around the state hosting the
videoconference. You will have an opportunity to learn about the
planning process and participate in dialog about the future of resource
sharing in Ohio.

Background: The State Library of Ohio contracted with Rob McGee (RMG
Consultants, Inc. www.rmgconsultants.com/staff/staff.html) to assist in
a process to envision and plan the "Next Generation" of Statewide
Resource Sharing in Ohio.

On October 24th, 25th, and 26th focus groups were held with participants
from across the state and from various sizes of public libraries.  We
began the process with public libraries because they have disparate
integrated library systems. The minutes from these focus groups are now
available at the State Library website at www.library.ohio.gov/swrs.
Here you will find the agendas and lists of participants from each
group. You can also read the minutes from each group.

In addition, I have put together a very short piece (gleanings from the
focus groups) which will highlight the common threads of discussion at
these focus groups.

November 14th is your chance to give feedback on this very important
initiative.  The seven sites across the state (Columbus, Caldwell,
Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Kent, Warren and Hillsboro) will enable you
to hear firsthand the history of resource sharing, where we are now, and
the details of this 'Next Generation' planning process.

Your input is important to this process.  We want all types of libraries
to participate. At each location following the introduction and overview
there will be a break from the videoconference and facilitators will
lead discussions among the attendees. Then, the videoconference will
resume and each site will have an opportunity to give feedback to the
entire statewide attendance.  All minutes will be accessible on the
State Library's  Statewide Resource Sharing
<http://www.library.ohio.gov/swrs/index.html>  webpage following the
videoconference.

To ensure adequate space please register through the State Library of
Ohio's Training Registration webpage at
http://www.library.ohio.gov/cregister/sloh-sessions/ then select
'Statewide Resource Sharing'. Next, choose one of the seven sites you
would like to attend. The sites are not region specific so you can
register to participate at any one of the locations.

Who should attend?  Anyone in the library community who is interested in
statewide resource sharing.

Where?  Sites are Columbus, Caldwell, Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Kent,
Warren and Hillsboro

Jo Budler

State Librarian of Ohio

274 E. 1st Avenue

Columbus, OH 43201

614-644-6843

jbudler at sloma.state.oh.us

For more information contact:

Marsha McDevitt-Stredney

Director, Marketing and Communications

274 E. 1st Avenue

Columbus, OH 43201

Tel: 614-644-6875

www.library.ohio.gov

"The State Library of Ohio provides services and resources to assist
state government and libraries in providing the best service to all."