[OPLINLIST] unique library collections in Ohio

Amy Harmon aharmon at heightslibrary.org
Wed Dec 17 15:50:19 EST 2008

I asked this very question a few months ago. My query resulted from an
article in the Akron Beacon Journal about Reed Memorial Public Library's
cake pan collection.
http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/10029166.html?page=all&c=y

* Lorain Public Library has a circulating collection of woodworking
project plans - the big sheets are often as big as a poster board and
often offer full size patterns for the crafty woodworker.

* Phil Shirley from Cuyahoga Fall Library mentioned that Kent Free
Library used to circulate fishing poles but they may have stopped.  Last
time he was at Morley Library in Painesville (5 or 6 years ago) they
were still circulating art.

* The Wornstaff Library in Ashley has Discovery Packs and Home Learning
Media.  The former are the book/video/activity theme collections such as
Demco sells.  Home Learning Media is an assortment motivated by
homeschoolers.  We have a microscope and some slides, a trundle wheel,
tracer projector, electricity and magnetism kit, cuisinere rods, etc.

*  Puskarich Public Library one year circulated paint to individuals
that were working on a quilt barn project.  If you needed pickle green,
you placed it on hold and we called you when the other person brought it
back.  http://www.harrisoncountyohio.org/community/quiltbarn.htm

* Milton-Union Public Library loans out Polaroid cameras (the kind that
spits out the instant picture) and puzzles--kind of mundane, but
different.

* Norwalk Public Library circulates a collection of original art and art
prints. Many of the originals are by local artists from the Firelands
Area Art League.

* The Louisville Public Library owns a baseball field... and this is no
overnight sandlot diamond.  The baseball field has dugouts and is wired
for night baseball!  The library bought the property from the Knights of
Columbus and they were hoping to build there.  When the levy failed, the
baseball field remained.  Local teams now play there daily and are
required to mow and maintain the grounds.

* J. R. Clarke Public Library also circulates cake pans. It has been a
storage problem but their patrons enjoy having the cake pans available.

Amy Harmon, MLIS
Web Library Manager
Cleveland Heights-University Heights Public Library
2345 Lee Road
Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44118
216-932-3600, ext 296
aharmon at heightslibrary.org