[OPLINLIST] Kent State University SLIS Offers Digital Librarianship Specialization

FILIPAN, RHONDA rfilipan at kent.edu
Tue Feb 12 15:27:48 EST 2008

The School of Library and Information Science at Kent State University
Announces New Specialization in Digital Librarianship

The School of Library and Information Science (SLIS) at Kent State
University has developed two new curriculum options in digital
librarianship. Beginning Fall Semester of 2008, students enrolled in the
school's Master of Library and Information Science (M.L.I.S.) program
may choose a specialization area in Digital Librarianship. In addition,
persons already holding an M.L.I.S. or M.L.S. degree can earn a
Certificate of Advanced Study in Digital Librarianship.

            Responding to the growing need for qualified, trained
information professionals in the area of digital librarianship, SLIS at
Kent State has developed a curriculum that offers students a digital
librarianship specialization focusing on the technical and human aspects
of the Web and digital libraries.

Students completing the specializations will have the education and
expertise needed to hold professional positions in libraries, archives,
museums and other organizations which conduct projects to create digital
resources and make them available on the Internet.

Students opting for a specialization in Digital Librarianship as part of
their 36-hour M.L.I.S. degree program will be able to enroll in two
newly-developed courses, "Digital Libraries," to be offered Fall
Semester of 2008, and "Implementation of Digital Libraries," to be
offered Spring Semester of 2009. These courses will augment existing
M.L.I.S. courses that focus on digital library education including
"Metadata Architectures and Implementations," "Information Uses and
Services", "Digital Image Processing and Collection Management,"
"Digital Preservation" and selected courses offered in both the M.L.I.S.
and M.S. in Information Architecture and Knowledge Management degree
program.

The Certificate of Advanced Study in Digital Libraries is intended for
professionals who already hold an M.L.I.S. or M.L.S. degree.   The 18
hours of study required to complete the certificate focus on technical
infrastructure of the digital library; theoretical and historical
foundations; knowledge organization; collection development and
maintenance; information access and utilization of digital libraries;
and social, economic, policy and professional issues.

"The demand for digital librarians and digital libraries has warranted
the restructuring of the library and information science curricula" said
Richard Rubin, director, Kent State University School of Library and
Information Science. "Education and training of digital library
librarians has emerged as a major task during recent years and Kent
State is providing the knowledge and skills for future professionals in
this area of librarianship."

Kent State University's School of Library and Information Science is the
largest single master's program at the university. With over 600
students, the school is ranked nationally by a U.S. News and World
Report survey as 19th in the country and the third largest masters
program in library and information science.  Classes are offered at the
Kent and Columbus campuses, at various distance learning sites
throughout the state, and online.

For programs and application information, visit www.slis.kent.edu
<http://www.slis.kent.edu/> .

For more information contact Ruth Smith, Public Relations Coordinator,
330-672-0003 or rsmith9 at kent.edu

Ruth K. Smith

Public Relations Coordinator

314 U Library