[OPLINLIST] State Library of Ohio budget update

Jo Budler JBUDLER at sloma.state.oh.us
Fri Feb 22 15:51:41 EST 2008

The State Library received notification from the Office of Budget &
Management (OBM) on February 15, 2008 with the results of our Budget
Reduction Plan for FY 2008 and FY 2009.  These reductions affected GRF
(General Revenue Funds) for the State Library.  Other funding sources
within the State Library were also affected as some GRF reductions were
offset with obligations being met with other sources of funding.  Budget
line items that received a 10% reduction were given the flexibility of
taking a different percentage reduction in each fiscal year as long as
the total was still achieved.

For State Library internal operations, we received a 10% reduction.  We
plan to achieve the budget reduction in FY 2008 and in FY 2009 through
elimination of positions as well as reductions in maintenance, equipment
and library materials.

OPLIN and the Regional Library Systems received a 10% reduction in their
GRF funding.

The State Library rental obligation at 274 East First Avenue was
exempted from the10% reduction, but Governor Strickland requested that
state agencies review their office space for potential savings.  This is
exactly what the State Library did and we plan to release approximately
16,000 square feet of space to the Landlord.  To accomplish this, the
collection has been shifted -- 65,000 items and many, many shelving
units were moved by State Library staff themselves.

Included in this 16,000 square footage were staff cubicles and offices.
The staff will be integrated into other available office space within
the facility.

The Ohioana Library rent, within the State Library budget, was also
exempted from a reduction.

The Regional Libraries for the Blind and Physically Handicapped at the
Cleveland Public Library and at the Public Library of Cincinnati &
Hamilton Library were exempted from the 10% reduction.

Implementation of these reductions within the various appropriation line
items of the State Library budget will not be easy, but they are
manageable.  We appreciate the support and concern of the Ohio library
community.

Best wishes,

Jo

Jo Budler, State Librarian

State Library of Ohio

274 East First Ave, Suite 100, Columbus, OH  43201

Phone:  614-644-6843; 800-686-1532 (Ohio only)

Fax: 614-466-3584

http://www.library.ohio.gov

"The State Library of Ohio provides services and resources to assist
state government and libraries in providing the best service to all."