[OPLINLIST] ALA's Virtual Library Day on the Hill

Hickson, Pamela phs at akronlibrary.org
Wed Jun 11 11:21:38 EDT 2008

VIRTUAL LIBRARY DAY ON THE HILL--Tuesday, July 1!

On Tuesday, July 1, from 8 a.m. to noon (Pacific Time) at ALA's Annual
Conference in Anaheim, the ALA Washington Office is hosting Virtual
Library Day on the Hill. At this event, conference attendees will have
the chance to both e-mail and fax their Members of Congress on important
library issues and learn how they can register to vote, using computer
terminals located on the exhibit floor. And if you're not at Annual, you
can still write your Members of Congress!

This will call attention to the value of today's libraries, as well as
the issues the library community is facing, which is especially
important in an election year, as many of our nation's legislators will
be looking to hear from their constituents. This is our chance to make
the library voice heard!

In order to make Virtual Library Day on the Hill as big of a success as
2007's Library Day on the Hill, we will need a few extra helping hands.

If you are available at ALA Annual on Tuesday, July 1, between 8 a.m.
and noon, we need volunteers to help participants use the computers to
write their Members of Congress and to answer any questions they might
have.

If you can volunteer for two hours, please send an e-mail to Melanie
Anderson at manderson at alawash.org.

Please specify if you volunteered last year and/or if you have used
CapWiz before. Thank you!

Pamela J. Hickson-Stevenson

Ohio Chapter Councilor to the American Library Association

Assistant Director

Akron-Summit County Public Library

60 S. High Street

Akron, OH  44326

Phone 330.643.9102

Fax 330.643.9160

phs at akronlibrary.org <mailto:phs at akronlibrary.org>

www.akronlibrary.org <http://www.akronlibrary.org>

The Akron-Summit County Public Library provides resources for learning
and leisure, information services, meeting spaces, and programs for all
ages that support, improve, and enrich individual, family, and community
life.