[OPLINLIST] Jvenile Readers Organization

Kara Cervelli kara.cervelli at perry.lib.oh.us
Fri May 9 12:20:27 EDT 2008

Kristin,
We organize our fiction in three levels:
Easy Readers (grades K-2), -like The Foot Book, Henry & Mudge...
Older Readers (grades 2-3)- like Junie B. Jones and Magic Tree House, and
Tweens (grades 4-6)- like Harry Potter, E.D. Baker's and Kate Dicamillo's books.

Series books are not separated but shelved either by the series name (if mutilple authors) or by author of the series.  We do separate out the Comics/Graphic Novels.

Our Easy Readers are further marked with colored spine labels to denote reading level.  1) The very easy/ Pre-K, Kdg. primers (just a few words to each page with very large font size),
2) those for grades K-1 that have more words to a page, longer sentences, some contractions and harder punctuation, but still the large font,
3) and those for Grades 1-2 that have a few chapters, longer sentences and harder vocabulary, with a smaller font and fewer pictures

If you can get your hands on it, the book "The Fountas and Pinnell Leveled Book List K-8" is a good aid at deciding what should go where.

I hope this helps!

Kara Cervelli
Head of Children's Services
Perry Public Library