[OPLINLIST] Zero Balance

Mark Mabelitini mabelima at oplin.org
Tue Nov 11 15:25:38 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

THIS really got me to thinking.

Yes, we are all facing some tough times, along with cities and schools.
However, I think we need to come at this from a completely different
angle, because I really do not think this is the way to go.  First, you
will not collect any more money. Second, those folks you turn away will
NOT be back, or will not be back for a very long time.

No, focusing on cuts is not the answer.  I believe we must focus on
revenues.  In the process of preparing our budget, I asked the Fiscal
Officer to take mostly from materials and supplies (including for
programs).  I did this because people love to contribute for books or
sponsor programs, and I plan to make up quite a bit of this lost revenue.
I am not about to cut hours and I am certainly not entertaining laying off
or getting rid of staff.  You can replace materials or be more creative
with programs, but you cannot replace the people who make the library what
it is.

Besides, I'm not talking about nickels and dimes.  No, I'm talking about
corporate sponsorships and other partnerships.  The 2009 Summer Reading
Program brought to you by XYZ company.  At the Innovative Environments
conference last week there were 2 good programs on this, one on
fundraising and one on public/private partnerships.   So, I'm looking for
those partnerships and not just for next year, but lasting
partnerships.

We cannot let our organizations be defined by our funding. No, we need to
figure what we want to do, put a price on it, SUBTRACT that amount from
what we will get in funding, and get busy making up the difference.

No more hand-wringing, no more lamenting our budgets getting cut again.

Okay, we CAN collect more fines.   Have a "Pay your fines week."  Let
patrons know we are facing a reduction in funding and if they want to
help, stop in and pay any fines they may owe.  I bet you will get some
contributions too.   Right now on my desk is a check for $150 from a
couple that gave that amount last year and the year before.  Over the next
few weeks I will get several more checks from regular donors.

People like to support us.  They contribute and pay their fines (okay,
MOST of 'em do!). They will continue to support us, especially if they
know we need their help.  Should we turn around and do something punative
that will drive them away?

Mark

Mark Mabelitini, Director
Tipp City Public Library
11 E. Main St.
Tipp City, Ohio 45371
(937) 667-3826 (office)
(937) 667-7968 (fax)
www.tippcitylibrary.org

> Hello all:
> We are forced to take drastic steps over here in Black Swamp land.
Effective
> December 1st, no patron will be allowed to borrow library materials, or use
> library computers unless they have a "zero balance". Big sigh... can't
believe I'd see it in my lifetime. Also, we are starting to use a
collection