[OPLINLIST] Zero Balance

huizenge@oplin.org huizenge at oplin.org
Tue Nov 11 19:21:05 EST 2008

Mark,
You make some very good points.  We are very fortunate that we have a
supportive community, and quite often folks will give more money when they
have a fine, or make a copy, and say "put it in the kitty." or something
like that.  I, too, hate to punish our patrons when times are bad - times
are bad for them, too.  In fact, we don't charge fines for Sr. Citizens or
for children under 16 - good will is worth a lot!
Though like many small libraries, we don't have the luxury of finding
corporate sponsors very often.  We have a number of local businesses in
town, but they are really getting hit up by the school organizations and
others.  This is a challenging time for all of us, but most of us can't
really run our libraries on fines.
Georgi Huizenga, Harris-Elmore Public Library