[OPLINLIST] Playaways: A question of security

Steve Cook scook at delawarelibrary.org
Fri Nov 14 11:28:48 EST 2008

I'm hoping those of you Playaway experienced folk can help us with a
question we have about this new (for us, anyway) format for audio books. We
are going to start circulating Playaways in January.  What, if anything, are
those of you who already have them in circulation doing for
security? Recorded Books, who will be supplying our start-up collection, has
a key-and-lock system available, but we have no comparable system with our
audio books on tape or CD, and have not had much of a theft problem with
them. The size and portability of the Playaway, however, raises the
question: will they have a higher theft potential than the audios in other
formats?  Any hints, suggestions and/or advice would be most appreciated.

So thank you all in advance.

Stephen Cook
Reference Librarian
Delaware County District Library